Lorgat is worried about the impact FICA’s warnings will have on the PSL
Former International Cricket Council (ICC) chief executive Haroon Lorgat has announced that the Federation of International Cricketers’ Associations’ (FICA) warnings to players about not participating in the Pakistan Super League (PSL) could seriously damage its reputation and hurt the success of the tournament.
However, despite what many people think, Lorgat noted that Pakistan was a much more stable place and added that a lot of planning had gone into the security arrangements in order for all players to be safe.
“It’s unfortunate, there are many players who will be undecided and when a statement is negative, it doesn’t help,” Lorgat said. “It doesn’t help the confidence of some players. Fortunately there are many who have already committed and who are confident … they trust the assurance given by the PCB [Pakistan Cricket Board].
“I think the statement is not against the PSL, it’s about the safety situation in Pakistan. While we understand that sort of a statement from the players association, I don’t think we necessarily agree with it. Here I’m sitting again, in Lahore, and I understand the situation on the ground in Lahore. There’s been a very good response across the globe by broadcasters who are keen and interested, and who are currently studying the detailed document. We are confident the league will happen on March 26. There’s a lot of interest from players as well. We know what the challenges are, it’s reality, but we will overcome those challenges.”
FICA chief Tim May stated that many cricketers had already heeded his warnings and would not travel to Pakistan.
“The security consultants came back and said that the risk of touring Pakistan in a cricketing sense is unmanageable,” he said. “I haven’t spoken directly to any players but the feedback we are getting from player associations throughout the world is that players are very appreciative and understanding of the advice. We can’t force the players not to go but I think you’ll find the majority, if not all, of current international cricketers will heed that advice and, unfortunately for Pakistan, not participate in this event this year.”
However, the PCB stated that they did not recognise FICA and noted that they would be dealing with individual cricket boards instead.
The PCB also refused to reveal which international players had shown interest in the PSL, but mentioned that an announcement would be made once the pools were ready.
“Our stated position on FICA is very clear, we don’t recognise them, so when we don’t endorse them it makes no sense to go into discussions with them at any level,” PCB chief operating officer Subhan Ahmed said. “As far as we are concerned we have no direct relationship with FICA.
“ICC’s defined process is very clear, whether a player is approached directly or through the board, we have approached various boards but obviously without NOC we will not allow players to come. We have written to various boards and we are confident that players will come to the league.”
As of right now, the PCB have not decided which location or ground will host the PSL, but early reports suggest that the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore is one of the leading candidates.
Pakistan have not hosted an international series on home soil since March 2009, where the Sri Lankan team were ambushed by armed militants, leaving eight locals dead and six of their players injured.
Since then, Pakistan have been forced to play many of their ‘home’ games in the United Arab Emirates or other neutral venues.