Image courtesy of: Zimbio
Despite being extremely vocal throughout the pay dispute that occurred between Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA), David Warner is confident that he will not be replaced as vice-captain.
Warner, on more than one occasion, said that the highly-anticipated Ashes series against England in November would not go ahead unless Cricket Australia and the ACA came to an agreement.
But, given that a new Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was finally agreed upon last week, Warner reiterated that he is not in danger of being stripped of the vice-captaincy.
“I highly doubt that … from where I sit I was doing just what I had to do to be in the frontline for all the players,” he told Nine Network’s Sports Sunday. “I was going to take it upon myself and represent the players and be more vocal and he (Steve Smith) was sort of going to go behind closed doors and get them talking and make sure he was on the same page with the ACA (players’ union) and Cricket Australia.
“The way he went about it was how he wanted to play it and I was always going to come out and be vocal and sticking up for the players.”
While Australia’s cricketers are now employed again, Warner admitted that it will take a long time to mend relations between Cricket Australia and the ACA.
“We regret the way it’s been played out in the media…,” he said. “This is done and dusted and some wounds need to be healed. I like to think we can put this behind us and move forward and work together.”
Warner added that he hopes things don’t go this far when the MoU expires in five years’ time.
“We know as players we will still stick together and if we have to go down the same path we will, but we would not want that again,” he said.