Champions Trophy 2nd Match: Rain spoils New Zealand and Australia’s epic showdown

The rain had the final say in Birmingham

Image courtesy of: Zimbio

New Zealand and Australia’s highly entertaining Champions Trophy clash at Edgbaston ended with both teams claiming a point each as the match was abandoned due to heavy rain.

Electing to bat first, New Zealand made a solid start to their innings before opener Martin Guptill was dismissed by Josh Hazlewood for 26.

Just under four overs later, the rain came and after a lengthy delay, the players were back out on the field, but the match was reduced to 46 overs per side.

Luke Ronchi led the way after the match resumed as he took the attack to Australia. The 36-year-old also passed his fifty, but his innings and the 77-run partnership he put together with captain Kane Williamson came to an end soon after.

Ronchi scored his fourth ODI fifty

Image courtesy of: Zimbio

Ronchi, who was removed by John Hastings, scored 65 off 43 balls, which included nine boundaries and three sixes.

Williamson and Ross Taylor kept the runs flowing with a 99-run stand, during which Williamson sailed past his fifty, before Taylor was sent packing by Hastings for 46.

Williamson went on to make 100 off 97 balls, which included eight boundaries and three sixes, before he was run out by Moises Henriques.

Williamson celebrates after scoring his ninth ODI century

Image courtesy of: Zimbio

Hazlewood took over after Williamson departed as he ripped through New Zealand’s middle and lower order.

The 26-year-old took three wickets in his final over as the Black Caps were bowled out for 291, which is their highest score against Australia in a global event.

Hazlewood was easily the pick of the bowlers with six wickets, while Hastings snapped up two and Pat Cummins chipped in with one.

Hazlewood finished with career-best figures of 6-52

Image courtesy of: Zimbio

Just before Australia began their chase, the heavens parted again and the match ended up being delayed. As a result, Australia were set a revised target of 235 to win in 33 overs.

Despite getting off to a brisk start, Australia opener David Warner was caught behind off the bowling of Trent Boult for 18.

Australia were dealt two more blows in fairly quick succession as Adam Milne removed Aaron Finch and Henriques for eight and 18 respectively.

As soon as Henriques was out though, New Zealand’s charge was halted as the rain returned.

With the rain refusing to relent, the umpires had no choice but to call the match off.

Milne was the most successful bowler with two wickets, while Boult claimed one.

Leave a Reply