Image courtesy of: Zimbio
Cricket Australia chairman David Peever has told Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Nazmul Hassan that Australia will tour Bangladesh later this year.
However, the trip will only go ahead once security assessments of the country are conducted.
Australia were supposed to travel to Bangladesh in 2015, but they postponed the tour due to security concerns.
But, at last week’s International Cricket Council (ICC) meetings, Peever assured Hassan that the tour will go ahead this year.
“The Australia series is final,” Hassan said. “Their chairman told me on the last day of the ICC meeting that he will come along with his wife. This was actually the first time they spoke to me about a series or tour. He came up with it, so I am sure they are coming.”
Hassan added that there was initially an issue with the break between the two Test matches due to Eid-ul-Azha, but he made it clear that the problem has been resolved.
“The second Test starts on the third day of Eid, so the first one will be held before Eid,” he said. “The dates are confirmed, but I don’t want to mention it now. The issue was a five-day break for Eid, which was too long for them. Then we decided that we can hold the second Test on the third day of Eid. There won’t be a long gap.”
It is understood that Australia will arrive in Bangladesh on August 18 and play a practice game in Chittagong from August 22 to 24. This will be followed by a two-Test series, with the first match being held in Chittagong on August 27, while the second Test will take place on September 4 in Mirpur.