Hesson: Guptill won’t be recalled to Test team

Guptill has not played Test cricket since October 2016

Image courtesy of: Zimbio

New Zealand head coach Mike Hesson has made it clear that opening batsman Martin Guptill won’t earn a Test recall following his superb knock of 180 not out on Wednesday.

Guptill’s sparkling innings in the fourth ODI against South Africa in Hamilton not only led New Zealand to a seven-wicket win, but also brought them level at 2-2 in the series heading into the fifth and final ODI in Auckland on Saturday.

After the ODI series, New Zealand and South Africa will be involved in a three-Test series, but Hesson pointed out that one magnificent knock is not enough to warrant Guptill’s return to the Test side.

“He’s not in the Test side, I think you’ve probably got to look at Martin’s record at the moment and make that decision,” Hesson told Radio New Zealand. “There’s plenty of examples around the world of players who have been extremely good at one format and not the other, hence there’s three different formats.”

However, Hesson insisted that Guptill still has a future when it comes to the longest format, albeit as a middle order batsman rather than an opener.

“We’ve decided the middle order’s the place for him to push his case,” he said.

Guptill, who averages 29.38 in Test cricket, expressed his eagerness to get back into the Test team as he hasn’t featured in the format since October last year.

“I’ll bat wherever, it doesn’t matter if it’s at 11,” he told Radio Sport.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s