Image courtesy of: ESPNcricinfo
Sulieman Benn walked away with the Player of the Year award at the West Indies Cricket Board’s (WICB) annual awards ceremony in Jamaica on Tuesday.
During October 2013 and September 2014, which was the period taken into consideration, Benn picked up 28 wickets in five Tests at an average of 25.03.
Opening batsman Kraigg Brathwaite was named Test Player of the Year for scoring 593 runs in five Tests, which included a career-best 212 against Bangladesh in September 2014, at an impressive average of 74.12.
Ramdin scooped up the ODI Player of the Year award for amassing 445 runs in 11 matches at a brilliant average of 63.57, which included a career-best 169 in the third ODI against Bangladesh on August 25, 2014.
Spinner Samuel Badree received the Twenty20 International Player of the Year award for taking 19 wickets in 12 matches at a jaw-dropping average of 12.36 and maintaining an economy rate of five runs per over.
Batsman Jermaine Blackwood was named Emerging Player of the Year, while Stafanie Taylor picked up the Women’s Player of the Year award.
WIPA/WICB 2013-14 award winners
- Player of the Year: Sulieman Benn
- ODI Player of the Year: Denesh Ramdin
- Test Player of the Year: Kraigg Brathwaite
- Twenty20 International Player of the Year: Samuel Badree
- Emerging Player of the Year: Jermaine Blackwood
- Women’s Player of the Year: Stafanie Taylor
- Regional four-day Player of the Year: Shacaya Thomas (Combined Campuses & Colleges)
- Regional limited-overs Player of the Year: Dwayne Smith (Barbados)
- Regional Twenty20 Player of the Year: Lendl Simmons (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Regional four-day Team of the Year: Barbados
- U-19 Player of the Year: Shimron Hetmyer (Guyana)
- Regional U-19 Team of the Year: Guyana
- WICB Lifetime Achievement Award: Chetram Singh
- WIPA Lifetime Achievement Award: Renford Pinnock
- Outstanding Performer WIPA in the community: Ronnie Goddard