Image courtesy of: ESPNcricinfo
Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland has announced that New South Wales pace bowler Sean Abbott will receive all the support he needs following South Australia batsman Phillip Hughes’ horrific injury.
It was Abbott who bowled the bouncer that struck Hughes on the side of the head and left him fighting for his life.
After Hughes had been hit and collapsed face first onto the pitch, Abbott was one of the first people to rush to his aid and even cradled Hughes in his arms until the medical staff arrived.
Hughes was then rushed to St Vincent’s Hospital and underwent surgery to relieve pressure on his brain before being transferred to the intensive care unit in critical condition.
It has also been revealed that Abbott and a few of his New South Wales team-mates received counselling for the incident on Wednesday.
“It says a lot about Sean, doesn’t it?” Sutherland said. “Sean will have all the support he needs around him.
“I’m sure his team mates and everyone don’t feel in any way ill of him for what happened…It’s a freak, freak incident that’s happened.”
However, former Australia pace bowler Stuart Clark fears that this incident may scar Abbott for the rest of career.
“As a fast bowler you’ve got to intimidate. That’s part of the game,” Clark said. “It’s been a part of the game for a long period of time now and I hope it always will be.
“You just worry that this could jeopardise Sean Abbott and his cricket career and we don’t want that. We want Sean Abbott to have the best possible career he can.”