Image courtesy of: ESPNcricinfo
Cricket South Africa and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have announced that the Proteas will host a rare four-Test series against England in December 2015.
The tour is set to last 72 days and will consist of four Tests – the first of which will be the traditional Boxing Day Test at Kingsmead in Durban – five ODIs and two Twenty20 Internationals.
According to the itinerary, England are scheduled to arrive in South Africa on December 11 and their final game will be on February 21.
England will start their tour with two warm-up matches before the Test series begins. Following the Boxing Day Test in Durban, the other three Tests will be held in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Centurion.
Bloemfontein, Port Elizabeth, Centurion, Johannesburg and Cape Town will have the honour of hosting an ODI each, while the two Twenty20 Internationals will be played in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
“Any tour of South Africa is special and as the Proteas currently set the benchmark in Test and ODI cricket it will be a real challenge which our emerging team will relish,” ECB managing director Paul Downton said. “We can be assured of fantastic support in South Africa from the thousands of loyal supporters who always follow us around the country – particularly at the Boxing Day Test in Durban and the New Year Test at Newlands in Cape Town.”
Cricket South Africa CEO Haroon Lorgat added: “England are the best supported team away from home and once more we look forward to welcoming their legion of fans together with their players and team management.
“The well-known ‘Barmy Army’ always adds charm to the on-field competition. The tour has already drawn huge interest and promises to be the highlight of our summer with four Test matches being played.”
England 2015-16 tour itinerary
- December 11: England arrive in SA
- December 15-17: SA Invitation XI v England, Potchefstroom
- December 20-22: SA Invitation XI v England, Pietermaritzburg Oval
- December 26-30: 1st Test, Kingsmead, Durban
- January 2-6: 2nd Test, Newlands, Cape Town
- January 14-18: 3rd Test, Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
- January 22-26: 4th Test, SuperSport Park, Centurion
- January 30: 1-day tour match, Diamond Oval, Kimberley
- February 3: 1st ODI, Chevrolet Park, Bloemfontein
- February 6: 2nd ODI, St. George’s Park, Port Elizabeth
- February 9: 3rd ODI, SuperSport Park, Centurion
- February 12: 4th ODI, Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
- February 14: 5th ODI, Newlands, Cape Town
- February 17: T20 tour match, SA Invitation XI v England, Boland Park, Paarl
- February 19: 1st T20, Newlands, Cape Town
- February 21: 2nd T20, Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg