Image courtesy of: ESPNcricinfo
Bangladesh spinner Sohag Gazi is eager to start playing international cricket again after he was reported for having a suspicious bowling action following the second ODI against the West Indies.
Gazi returned home last week to apply for a UK visa since he will get his action tested at Cardiff Metropolitan University. However, he will have to do so by September 19 since that was the deadline set by the International Cricket Council (ICC).
“Of course I want to return quickly,” Gazi said. “There is a lot of cricket coming up. I am happy that the test is taking place early and if it is a positive result, I can play a lot more of cricket. Zimbabwe are coming to Bangladesh, and then there is the World Cup. I want to forget the past and start new as if I am making my debut again.
“I have struggled a lot in the 14 years I have been playing cricket. I have seen a lot, and worked hard to come this far. So this does not seem like a really big deal for me. I don’t think something will happen to me, so I am relaxed, not feeling pressure. I am the only player in my clan. I have never had a player helping me when I was growing up.”
Gazi still does not fully understand how the test works even though he has spoken to his team-mate Abdur Razzak, who had to get his action tested in 2008 after being suspended by the ICC.
“I don’t also know about the process involved,” he said. “[Abdur Razzak] Raj bhai told me they may put some machines on my right arm. They could ask me to bowl seven to 10 overs on different spots and tell me to bowl my deliveries like the doosra or the arm-ball.
“The team manager [Habibul] Bashar bhai told me after the second ODI that they have reported the action. I asked immediately if I will be allowed to play and he said ‘Don’t worry, you can play. They have set September 19 as the deadline for your test.’
“I was supposed to return home after the first Test. The BCB tried to get my visa from there so that I can do the testing in Cardiff while coming back from West Indies, but that did not come about.”
After being reported, Gazi had a nightmare with the ball during the third ODI as he conceded 63 runs, which included five sixes, from nine overs and also dropped a catch.
Gazi stated that being reported was not the reason behind his poor performance. However, he admitted that the news had definitely affected the team’s morale.
“As a team, we have stumbled after doing well last year,” he said. “We are going through a tough time, may be that is how it has been for me as well. We haven’t been winning a lot of matches this year. We feel bad about it. I don’t think I was nervous that day.”