Image courtesy of: ESPNcricinfo
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) have decided to reduce all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan’s six-month ban by three-and-a-half months, which means that he will be available to represent the national team from September 15 onwards.
However, it was also announced that the BCB will still not give Al Hasan any No Objection Certificates, which he requires to play in domestic tournaments like the Indian Premier League (IPL) and Big Bash League (BBL), until the end of 2015.
While Al Hasan will not be able to represent Bangladesh in their ongoing tour of the West Indies since the second Test ends on September 17, he will however be able to play in the national team’s home series against Zimbabwe, which gets underway on October 26 in Chittagong.
Al Hasan was suspended by the BCB on July 7 following “serious misbehaviour” with Bangladesh’s head coach Chandika Hathurusingha. He was also involved in an altercation with a fan during the first ODI against India on June 15. It was reported that the fan had been making indecent gestures towards his wife.
Two weeks after being banned, Al Hasan publicly apologised for his behaviour and pleaded with the BCB to reduce his ban.
BCB president Nazmul Hassan revealed that the board had agreed to reduce the all-rounder’s ban after a four-hour meeting since they were pleased with his behaviour as of late.
“After taking everything under consideration, we have decided in today’s meeting that his suspension will be lifted on September 15,” Hassan said. “This means he will be available for selection. The board would not decide where he will play, the selectors and operations committee are there to select him. He will be available for international and domestic cricket.
“It is not easy to take such a decision and then come out of it. But, as a contracted player, he had a right to appeal and he did. We were satisfied with the letter and his recent behaviour from individual interactions. We feel he has learned from his mistake and he has assured us a number of times that he won’t make such a mistake again.”
Hassan also hinted that the BCB would consider giving Al Hasan No Objection Certificates in the near future if his behaviour both on and off the field continues to improve.
“The decision to keep him suspended from playing abroad [in domestic leagues] still stands,” Hassan said. “We will observe him on and off the field. If we see he has improved, the board may then decide to relax the other things.”
The BCB president added that Al Hasan will be in the player pool for the upcoming edition of the Dhaka Premier League (DPL).
“He is a [national] pool player. There are a few decisions to be taken, which will be in CCDM’s authority,” he said. “They will let us know. They will take legal advice, but he will be allowed to play.”
When asked if the BCB decided to reduce Al Hasan’s ban based on his recent performances with the national team, Hassan simply said: “No.”