Image courtesy of: ESPNcricinfo
England recorded a 2-0 win the last time these two nations clashed
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have announced that the national team will tour the Caribbean in February next year for a limited overs series.
The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) also confirmed that the tour had been scheduled to include three ODIs and three Twenty20 Internationals and will run from February 28 to March 13.
In a rather unprecedented move, the WICB also stated that all three ODIs would be played at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground in Antigua, while the Kensington Oval in Barbados will play host to all three Twenty20 Internationals.
The Twenty20 series will be the West Indies’ last chance to scope out some of their competition before heading to Bangladesh in March to defend their World Twenty20 title.
“This is one of the most, highly anticipated tours on the cricketing calendar,” WICB Cricket Operations manager Roland Holder said. “West Indies’ battles with England have been legendary, going back to 1928 when the two teams first played.
“This limited overs series will form part of that rich legacy of competition which fans on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean are looking forward to with great anticipation.”
Holder added that the tour will not only benefit Caribbean cricket fans, but English fans as well since the West Indies is a highly popular tourist destination for them.
“The Caribbean has always benefitted from English fans travelling to the region for cricket and this series will be an ideal opportunity for that tradition to continue in what are two of the world’s premier tourism destinations – Antigua and Barbados,” Holder said. “We are especially pleased that we are able to confirm and announce the full schedule well in advance of the series which will allow English fans who wish to travel to the Caribbean for the series to make their plans early.”