Former England all-rounder, Paul Collingwood, knows that he will need a “miracle” to get selected back into the ODI squad once again.
Collingwood, retired from Test cricket after helping England win the Ashes in Australia last year.
Speaking at Durham’s media day at the Emirates Durham ICG on Tuesday, Collingwood, said: “I do realise it will take pretty much a miracle to get back into that side. I know England will be looking at the younger generation coming through but I’m going to keep it open because I find it a big motivation in trying to get back into the side.”
However, after the Ashes triumph, Collingwood, went through a disappointing run of form, and was no longer included in the national squad.
The last time the 35-year-old played for the national side, was in the 2011 World Cup, where he continued to have a terrible run of form, as England suffered a shocking defeat to Bangladesh.
But, Collingwood, is still optimistic of making a comeback into the England team, and said: “I’m very realistic. I’m still available in one-day internationals and Twenty20s – I haven’t retired from them yet.”
The former all-rounder was also the first England Captain to win an international tournament, as he captained his side to a scintillating World Twenty20 championship in 2010.
“It’s something that drives me on all the time and trying to become a better player and you just never know what can happen. If you have a good two or three months of playing really well and England have a couple of injuries, you just never know,” he said.
Collingwood, is hoping to prove he is worthy of a spot on the national roster, by playing for Durham in the county league.
“My sole focus for this next six months – and for the next three years because I’ve signed a three-year contract – is to do well for Durham and hopefully drive Durham to get some silverware, win things and hopefully I can play well personally and score some big runs,” he said.