Image courtesy of: Zimbio
Bangladesh batsman Sabbir Rahman has found himself in hot water again after he allegedly verbally abused and threatened two fans on social media.
It is understood the incident took place after the second ODI against the West Indies in Guyana.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is looking into the case, and the board’s chief executive Nizamuddin Chowdhury confirmed that “appropriate action” will be taken once the investigation concludes.
“Players, especially national players, are given definitive guidelines on how to behave with fans and on social media,” Chowdhury told the Dhaka-based Daily Star as quoted by ESPNcricinfo. “They have been told that they must be very careful when interacting with the public on social media. Since it is out in the public and when it has come to the board’s knowledge, if such a breach has occurred it will be referred to the disciplinary committee and appropriate action taken.”
According to ESPNcricinfo, who obtained one of the alleged messages Sabbir sent to one of the fans, it contains foul language and a threat of physical harm.
The fan had posted a sarcastic comment on the Facebook account of “Shabbir Rahaman Roman”, which is believed to be the Bangladesh batsman’s personal account.
Another user subsequently tagged Sabbir in the comment made by the fan, who criticised the 26-year-old for only scoring 15 runs in the first two ODIs.
It is understood that Sabbir subsequently replied to the duo, who were also blocked from accessing the account.
The account has since been deactivated, and was done so after the BCB were notified about the incident on Thursday.
This isn’t the first time Sabbir has been in trouble as in December last year, he was stripped of his national contract and fined $25,000 for assaulting a child during a Rajshahi Division first-class game.
He was also fined USD 15,000 for “disciplinary breaches” during the 2016 edition of the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL).