Image courtesy of: Zimbio
Australia opener David Warner has broken his silence on the ball tampering scandal and admitted that the entire incident has affected him and his family.
It is understood that Warner played a leading role in the scandal, which occurred on the third day of the third Test against South Africa in Cape Town, as he told fellow opening batsman Cameron Bancroft to alter the condition of the ball.
As a result, Warner and Steve Smith were banned for 12 months by Cricket Australia, while Bancroft was suspended for nine months. Smith won’t be allowed to captain Australia for two years, while Warner won’t be considered for leadership roles in the future.
Upon arriving at Sydney Airport, Warner was hounded by the media and subsequently proceeded to say: “As you can understand, it has been a tough, emotional time for my wife and kids. At the present time, you’ll hear from me in a couple of days.
“At the moment, my priority is to get these kids in bed, and rest up and get my mind a bit clear so I can think, and talk in a couple of days. Thanks guys.”
Cricket Australia have since announced that Warner will address the media on Saturday.
JUST IN: David Warner will address the media in Sydney at 11am AEDT on Saturday
— cricket.com.au (@CricketAus) March 30, 2018
Warner had earlier taken to Twitter to issue a short statement.
— David Warner (@davidwarner31) March 29, 2018
“To cricket fans in Australia and all over the world: I am currently on my way back to Sydney,” he said. “Mistakes have been made which have damaged cricket.
“I apologise for my part and take responsibility for it. I understand the distress this has caused the sport and its fans.
“It’s a stain on the game we all love and I have loved since I was a boy. I need to take a deep breath and spend time with my family, friends and trusted advisers. You will hear from me in a few days.”