Key seamer to miss Australia’s limited overs tour of India

Mitchell Starc - Australia cricket

Mitchell Starc has failed to fully recover from a foot injury

Image courtesy of: Zimbio

Mitchell Starc has been ruled out of Australia’s limited overs tour of India from September to October as he has yet to fully recover from a foot injury.

The left-arm seamer was diagnosed with stress fractures in his right foot during the four-Test series in India earlier this year, but he made his comeback at the Champions Trophy in June.

However, after the tournament, it was revealed that Starc’s injury hadn’t completely healed and he was subsequently ruled out of Australia’s two-Test tour of Bangladesh.

With Starc sidelined for the upcoming series in India, he will continue to work towards becoming fully fit ahead of the Ashes series in Australia in November.

“Mitchell Starc has been excluded from the two squads as he continues his return from a right foot injury,” team physio David Beakley said. “We have recently reviewed the progress of Mitchell’s right foot injury and the healing process has been slower than we would have liked.

“Consequently, in order to ensure his best possible preparation for the Ashes, he will be unavailable for the tour of India and will continue his rehab in Australia with an aim to have him play for New South Wales in the domestic one-day cup.”

Meanwhile, Australia have decided to include uncapped all-rounder Hilton Cartwright in their ODI squad, while Jason Behrendorff could make his Twenty20 International debut after being one of the 13 men picked.

All-rounder James Faulkner is back in the ODI squad, along with Ashton Agar and Nathan Coulter-Nile.

“Nathan brings raw pace to the side with good variation,” national selector Trevor Hohns said. “It is great to see him back from injury and we are hopeful he will have a big impact in this series.

“James Faulkner is a solid one-day campaigner and is very familiar with subcontinent conditions, coming off a very good tour of Sri Lanka last year. We hope that he will take his chance in returning to the one-day side. Hilton is an aggressive striker of the ball and we think his game will be well suited to the transition to short-form cricket.”

In regards to the Twenty20 squad, wicketkeeper-batsman Tim Paine was chosen ahead of Matthew Wade, while all-rounder Dan Christian, who has not played international cricket since April 2014, was recalled to the side.

“The overall standards being set in the BBL and also the IPL are very high and the players selected have impressed in these tournaments,” national T20 selector Mark Waugh said. “Jason [Behrendorff] has been a stand-out performer for the Scorchers for a number of seasons and deserves his chance at this level.

“Dan [Christian] is a very experienced allrounder who can be a very dangerous batsman. He had a solid IPL season this year and we believe his bowling will be well suited to the conditions we will face in India. Tim Paine has been called-up following his successful home T20 international and Big Bash campaigns.”

Australia’s limited overs tour of India, which will consist of five ODIs and three Twenty20 Internationals, will start on September 17 and conclude on October 13.

Australia’s ODI squad: Steven Smith (capt), David Warner, Ashton Agar, Hilton Cartwright, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Patrick Cummins, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Matthew Wade (wk), Adam Zampa

Australia’s T20 squad: Steven Smith (capt), David Warner (vice-capt), Jason Behrendorff, Dan Christian, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Patrick Cummins, Aaron Finch, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Glenn Maxwell, Tim Paine (wk), Kane Richardson, Adam Zampa

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply