Image courtesy of: Zimbio
South Africa team manager Mohammed Moosajee has said that the players are all feeling “uneasy” following the terrorist attack in Manchester.
On Monday night, a suicide bombing that is believed to have been carried out by Islamic State, left 22 people dead and 59 injured at a concert by US singer Ariana Grande.
Moosajee condemned the horrific incident that had occurred, but confirmed that the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) had been in contact about security measures.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Manchester,” he said. “What happened last night is both abhorrent and despicable. Unfortunately terrorism is a world-wide problem.
“As you can understand, we have some genuine concerns. The players are uneasy. As AB (De Villiers) mentioned, there was a lot of chatter at the breakfast table, but I’m happy to say that we’ve had constant communication from the ECB (England Cricket Board) and their security manager.
“There has been some reassurances and guarantees put in place that the security arrangements currently as they stand will be supplemented starting today.”
The Proteas will be in England for almost three months and they will start their tour of with a three-match ODI series on Wednesday.
After that, they will take part in the Champions Trophy before playing a three-match Twenty20 series and a four-Test series against England.
“There is a heightened sense of awareness. We have been told there will be more visible policing at the stadiums as well as the hotels we will reside at,” Moosajee added. “The hotel that we will reside in when we are in Manchester for the last Test match is literally walking distance away from where the events unfolded, so there has been some genuine concerns.
“I think the process has started to make sure that the players are reassured that changes have been made to keep the players safe.”