Image courtesy of: Zimbio
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) have said that they will provide Australia with the same level of security as the country’s head of state should they tour the nation later this year.
Australia are scheduled to travel to Bangladesh for a two-Test series in August-September, but due to security concerns, Cricket Australia decided to send a security team there this week.
However, the BCB are prepared to do everything in their power to ensure the series goes ahead as planned.
“What is usually reserved for a visiting head of state will be provided to them,” BCB chief executive Nizamuddin Chowdhury told AFP.
Australia were supposed to visit Bangladesh in October 2015, but the tour was called off due to security concerns.
However, with Bangladesh having successfully hosted England for three ODIs and two Tests in October last year, Nizamuddin is confident that Australia will get the green light this time around.
“We have guaranteed that the security, which was given to England cricket team last year, similar arrangement will be made for the Australian team,” he said. “If there is any additional requirement needed, we are ready to provide that.”
Cricket Australia’s head of security Sean Carroll spoke to Bangladesh’s home minister and several of the country’s security and police chiefs about security for the tour on Tuesday.
When asked whether the security being provided was adequate, Carroll said: “We are looking forward to working with the Bangladesh authorities and BCB to making sure there is very successful tour going ahead in August.”