Siddle to miss second Test

"We are hopeful that this will resolve relatively quickly"

“We are hopeful that this will resolve relatively quickly”

Image courtesy of: Zimbio

Australia pace bowler Peter Siddle has been ruled out of the second Test against South Africa in Hobart after aggravating his back injury.

Siddle was diagnosed with stress fractures in his back in February and only made his comeback last month, but bowling for four consecutive days in the first Test in Perth has taken a toll on the 31-year-old.

Siddle was sent for scans to determine the severity of the injury and Cricket Australia confirmed on Tuesday that there was excess fluid around the area of his stress fractures.

“We are hopeful that this will resolve relatively quickly, but have withdrawn him from the squad for the second Test Match in Hobart,” team physiotherapist David Beakley said. “We will monitor his recovery and have a better idea of when he will return to play in the next week or so.”

Following the fourth day of the Test match at the WACA, which Australia lost by 177 runs, Siddle admitted that he found it tough to keep bowling, but believes that once he starts playing more often, that won’t be a problem anymore.

“I probably haven’t played as much as I would have liked but I felt good,” he had said. “It was a bit tiring to be out there but that’s part of the game.

“When I’m feeling fully fit and have got some miles in the legs, that will all come together. It’s just about finding some rhythm and that will get there.”

With Siddle out, it is likely that uncapped seamer Joe Mennie will make his Test debut in Hobart. Mennie, 27, has played in 43 first-class matches and taken 161 wickets at an average of 26.88.

Leave a Reply