Image courtesy of: ESPNcricinfo
Sri Lanka captain Angelo Mathews’ superb performance with both the bat and ball saw him pick up the Cricketer of the Year award, the Test batsman prize and the ODI batsman and all-rounder trophies at the Sri Lanka Cricket awards ceremony.
The period under consideration for the awards ran from January 2014 to December 2014, during which Mathews scored 1,160 Test runs at a superb average of 77.33 and 1,244 ODI runs at a brilliant average of 62.20. He also took 18 ODI wickets at an average of 36.16.
Meanwhile, veteran spinner Rangana Herath won the Test bowler award for claiming 56 wickets at 27.17. Ajantha Mendis clinched the ODI bowler prize for taking 38 wickets at a magnificent average of 21.63.
Kusal Perera walked away with the T20 batting and Emerging Cricketer of the Year awards, while Nuwan Kulasekara received the T20 bowling award.
Kumar Sangakkara won his sixth consecutive People’s Choice Award.
In the women’s category, Chamari Atapattu received the batting trophy, Inoka Ranaweera clinched the bowling prize and Eshani Lokusuriyage claimed the all-rounder award.
In regards to the domestic awards, Badureliya Sports Club’s Milinda Siriwardana, who recently made his Test debut, won the batting award for hammering 1,144 runs at an excellent average of 67.29 in the Premier League Tournament.
Authority Cricket Club left-arm spinner Malinda Pushpakumara won the bowling prize for taking 70 wickets at a sensational average of 16.72, while Saracens CC’s Umesh Karunaratne picked up the all-rounder award.
SLC Award Winners
- Cricketer of the Year – Angelo Mathews
- Test Batsman – Angelo Mathews
- Test Bowler – Rangana Herath
- ODI Batsman – Angelo Mathews
- ODI Bowler – Ajantha Mendis
- ODI All-rounder – Angelo Mathews
- T20 Batsman – Kusal Perera
- T20 Bowler – Nuwan Kulasekara
- Emerging Cricketer of the Year – Kusal Perera
- People’s Choice Award – Kumar Sangakkara
- Women’s Batsman – Chamari Atapattu
- Women’s Bowler – Inoka Ranaweera
- Women’s Allrounder – Eshani Lokusuriyage