Image courtesy of: Zimbio
Ireland have announced that they are currently embroiled in talks with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) about scheduling a tour of the Asian nation in the near future.
Cricket Ireland chief executive Warren Deutrom revealed that he first contacted the PCB in January.
Pakistan have not hosted any official international series on home soil ever since the Sri Lankan national team were ambushed by armed militants in Lahore in March 2009.
As a result of that attack, eight people were killed and several players and officials were injured.
Ireland expressed their interest in touring Pakistan in June last year, but it went up in smoke following a terrorist attack on Karachi airport.
While Deutrom will review the security situation in Pakistan before sending the national team to the country, he noted that he wants to continue talking with the PCB after the World Cup ends on March 29.
“We will keep this matter under review and consider a tour when conditions are right,” Deutrom said via a statement. “I had a preliminary discussion with the Pakistan Cricket Board in January and then we had a follow-up email but the World Cup has taken over matters at the moment. I am sure discussions will recommence when we hear from the Pakistan Cricket Board.”
With the sixth anniversary of the Lahore attacks having come last Tuesday, PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan is hoping that Ireland go through with their proposal.
“We are trying our best to get top teams in,” he said. “I have been told by some teams that if one or two make the trip then they too will follow suit.
“The way to open doors is that we bring small associate teams. If associate members come, God willing the doors will open slowly. People will know our stadiums and the accommodation are secure. The hope is that those top 10 teams will start coming.”