‘I’m backing myself to do well as a captain of any team I lead’, says Dwayne Bravo

Image courtesy of: Zimbio

Bravo has called on the Trinidad and Tobago community to “bear” with him

West Indies ODI and Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel captain Dwayne Bravo has been on a losing streak as of late, but he has vowed to avenge his failures, stating “I’m backing myself to do well as a captain of any team I lead”.

The Red Steel are currently on a three-game losing streak and Bravo also failed to lead the West Indies to victory in their tri-series against India and Sri Lanka and in their recently concluded ODI series against Pakistan.

But, after having lost three straight games in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL), many Trinidad and Tobago fans are starting to question whether Bravo is really the right man to be leading their franchise.

“I know fans in the region, and in Trinidad, may be questioning my ability to lead, but I ask them to bear with me,” Bravo said. “I’m growing as a captain. I see it as a learning curve and a patient process. It’s not easy to adapt but I am trying. I’m confident I’m the man to do the job and I just need folks to rally around me.

“80% of the fans will be for you when you’re going through a rough patch. The other 20% would say otherwise, but I just need a win and some good individual performances to convince everyone otherwise.”

In an attempt to plead his case, Bravo also noted that many other captains have experienced their own rough patches, but have managed to dig deep and fight through it.

“Everyone has ups and downs as captain – Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar and even Ricky Ponting, when he lost Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne to retirement,” Bravo said. “But history doesn’t remember those periods as much, it remembers they were great captains. I aspire to be that same thing.”

The 29-year-old Bravo has also taken 17-year-old Nicolas Pooran under his wing as he sees a lot of promise and a bright future ahead for the young wicketkeeper.

“He has the ability and talent [and I] can see him become the next Kieron Pollard,” Bravo said. “I’m the captain and I would like to see Nicholas continue playing his natural game, freely and organically, and we’ll guide him. This keeps him grounded and we should support players like this. He can bat both left and right-handed, and I’m urging him to show this at some point in the CPL. I’m there to encourage youngsters to give it their all.

“A captain is as good as his team. I am aiming to improve for my franchise and the West Indies. It’s a dream come true to lead my country and the West Indies, ever since I was a little kid. But I wasn’t groomed in my career to lead. I’ve been learning through playing and it’s been challenging. But I’m gathering experience and I’m hoping for support from the regional fans. I know I’ll win you over and bring joy to you soon.”

Leave a Reply