Ryder refused to sign a contract for the 2012-2013 season
Troubled New Zealand batsman Jesse Ryder’s international cricket career is in doubt after he chose not to sign a new contract with the cricket board.
New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief executive David White stated that Ryder’s decision not to sign a contract for the 2012-2013 season was made after he talked to his management and the New Zealand Cricket Players’ Association.
Ryder made his decision official when meeting with NZC members as part of his annual review.
Talking about Ryder’s refusal to sign a contract for the 2012-2013 season, White said: “Jesse wants to concentrate on his personal goals without the media pressures, commercial pressures and other demands associated with being a contracted player.”
Ryder’s current contract with NZC will expire on August 1.
The troubled batsman has not represented New Zealand since their ODI series against South Africa last year, before getting suspended for one match since he broke team protocol by drinking alcohol while being injured.
Ryder, has not been considered for New Zealand’s upcoming tour of the West Indies, but did take up a USD 100,000 contract to play for the Pune Warriors in this year’s Indian Premier League (IPL).
However, White also noted that NZC would continue to support Ryder while off contract.
“All of the evidence shows that Jesse is on the right track, both on and off the field, but we’re aware that there are still steps to be made. While cricket remains an important part of his life, it is his health and well-being that need to be the primary focus,” White said.