A BATTING WITH BIMAL BREAKING REPORT: Mohammad Asif claims he is innocent

Asif believes there was no hard evidence to prove he was involved in the match-fixing scandal

Disgraced Pakistan bowler, Mohammad Asif has revealed that there was no hard evidence to prove his involvement in the 2010 match-fixing scandal that shook the cricketing world to its core.

Asif, who was released after spending only half of his 12 month sentence in prison, felt that it was one of the most difficult periods of his life since he thought he was innocent.

Speaking exclusively to Geo TV in London, Asif said: “I was shocked when I was handed that 12-month jail term, and when they termed me guilty I was very surprised because there was no evidence against me.”

Asif, was jailed in November last year, after he was found to be accepting payments for bowling deliberate no-balls against England at Lord’s in August 2010.

“I am fitter than before because I was using the gym and although I didn’t get to play much cricket, I played badminton and football,” he said.

Asif’s teammates, Mohammad Amir and Salman Butt both received sentences for the roles they played in the match-fixing scandal as well.

Amir, was released in February, while Butt is still serving the remainder of his 30 month sentence in prison.

“I spent the six months under difficult circumstances, but despite the difficulties, I kept my fitness and I am thankful to my fans and family for supporting me during this difficult phase,” Asif said.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has banned all three players from taking part in any cricketing activities for five years.

Asif, is hoping that his lawyer, Ravi Sukul can do something to overturn the five year ban by the ICC.

The disgraced bowler went on to say that he feels as if he has not lost his touch at all.

“You don’t tell a fish how to swim, so I have not forgot how to bowl,” he said.

This is not the first time Asif has been involved in a spot of controversy, as in 2006 and 2008, the bowler failed to pass a drug test.

In June 2008, he was also detained at Dubai airport for possessing a banned substance.

Leave a Reply