A BATTING WITH BIMAL BREAKING REPORT: Bangladesh tour to Pakistan postponed by four weeks

Pakistan would have hosted their first international matches in three years if the tour had been scheduled to go ahead

 

Bangladesh’s tour to Pakistan, which was scheduled to take place on 29 and 30 April,  has been postponed for four weeks, by order of the High Court.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), sent in a petition stating that they felt it was unsafe to send the national team into Pakistan.

An order issued from the two-member bench, who were responding to the petition sent in by the BCB, said: “Suspend the tour for four weeks.”

Bangladesh, were supposed to play an ODI on April 29, followed by a Twenty20 International the next day, with both matches scheduled to play at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore.

Pakistan, have not hosted any international cricket since the Sri Lankan team were attacked by gunmen in March 2009 in Lahore.

The High Court bench, which comprised of judges Farid Ahmed and Sheikh Hassan Arif, questioned the whether it was really worth sending Bangladesh into Pakistan for such a short trip, amongst all the security concerns.

A Supreme Court lawyer and private university professor, also stated that the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had failed to provide the BCB with any detailed security plan, which had been demanded by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

“Pakistan is not safe for any foreign teams now. Their own media including their English daily Dawn says so. For that reason, no country agrees to play there. Under the same circumstances, we should not go there also,” the petition read.

Leave a Reply