Image courtesy of: ESPNcricinfo
Anil Kumble has re-applied for the India head coach position even though the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said that he did not need to submit an application.
The board confirmed that Kumble, whose tenure as head coach comes to an end after the Champions Trophy, will be part of the final pool of candidates to be interviewed by the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC), which consists of Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman.
Besides Kumble, the other candidates that have been shortlisted include Virender Sehwag, Tom Moody, Richard Pybus, Lalchand Rajput and Dodda Ganesh.
Craig McDermott also applied for the post, but his application arrived after the May 31 deadline. Despite this, the CAC will look over his application and determine whether he will be eligible for an interview.
The CAC want to choose the right candidate prior to the conclusion of the Champions Trophy on June 18 as India will be heading to the Caribbean straight after to take on the West Indies in a limited overs series.
Kumble has a strong chance of retaining the job he has held since June last year as India have enjoyed a lot of success under his guidance, especially in their recent season at home.
However, there were reports of a rift between him and India captain Virat Kohli, who allegedly said that the players were “intimidated” by his coaching style.
But, Kohli refuted these claims, stating “there are no problems whatsoever”.