Image courtesy of: Zimbio
On Monday, there was speculation that South Africa pace bowler Marchant de Lange could be next in line to sign a Kolpak deal, but Johan van Heerden, the CEO of Knights, which is the domestic franchise De Lange plays for, has indicated that may no longer be the case.
De Lange was understood to be in talks with Glamorgan and according to Afrikaans weekly, Rapport, negotiations between the two parties were “at an advanced stage”.
The 26-year-old, whose international career has never taken off due to numerous injury setbacks, has represented the Proteas in two Tests, four ODIs and six Twenty20 Internationals.
Despite what has been reported, Van Heerden revealed that De Lange still feels he has a future when it comes to international cricket.
“I spoke to him and he told me that he has not given signing a Kolpak contract much thought because he believes that he could still push for a regular place in the Proteas sides‚” Van Heerden was quoted as saying by the SowetanLIVE website.
Furthermore, Van Heerden added that De Lange doesn’t qualify for a Kolpak deal as he hasn’t played at least one Test or 10 ODIs in the last 18 months.
“He played the last of his only two Test matches for South Africa in 2010 against New Zealand in Wellington and he has only played four ODIs with the last [against] England in Bloemfontein last year,” he said.
Should this be the case, it will be a huge relief for South African fans as pace bowler Kyle Abbott, batsman Rilee Rossouw and all-rounder David Wiese have already ended their international careers by signing Kolpak deals.